Entertainment, Social Media and Tech News, Popherald.com
| ]
simon cowell tells oprah

Article by: Rumer Certeza
Photo: Fame
Brutally honest, hard-nosed judge Simon Cowell's losing the spark and is set to throw in the towel.

American Idol's big finale next week will also mark the grand exit of Britain's ruthless yet adorable judge, Simon Cowell, who's been imitated by many, yet never equalled.

In a special guest appearance on Thursday's (May 20) 'Oprah Winfrey Show,' Cowell reveals his reasons for leaving the popular music reality show, which has been so much a part of him since it made its debut in June of 2002.

The queen of talk opens the interview by asking Cowell straight in the face why he's leaving 'Idol.'

"Time's up. It feels like the right thing to do," says the sharp tongued judge.

And one of the reasons behind his decision to move on is boredom. Cowell makes it crystal clear that it would be unfair to the audience if he stuck around with that state of mind.


"After a while, you start to go on autopilot. Too many times I was sitting there bored. The audience deserves more than that... and I can't hide when I'm bored," explains Cowell.

And to counter his present condition, the Brit discusses a new talent show which he would be launching, sort of a U.S. version of his 'X Factor' talent show, which is distinct from 'Idol' although having a few similarities. Whether it would be a success or failure, the main focus is to find that star.

"It's different because there's no upper age limit.. Singing groups can enter the show," he says.

Oprah then questioned Cowell why he would move on to another talent show if he was bored with 'Idol.'

"I actually like it, funny enough," the Brit says. "I like the buzz it creates. You want to be part of something people are talking about. I love that feeling."

Favorite contestants? Besides contestants Carrie Underwood and Fantasia, Cowell would rule out 'Britain's Got Talent' sensation Susan Boyle who soared way above expectations on her audition.

Says the fierce, yet poised judge who was in a bad mood during that time of auditions, "I never thought we'd find anyone good. When I watched the clip back, I actually hated myself. We're all sneering and not listening. I didn't like what I saw. It was a wake-up call, and I was happy she made us look stupid, because we deserved it."

And on his 'Idol' curtain closer on the big night of the finals, Cowell concludes by telling Oprah, "The final night will be quite emotional. I've had a great time. I love working over here (in the U.S.) and never thought I would."

Cowell leaving Idol is like a Ferrari running on flat tires. That's right, Ellen and company.